Remember, the community service requirement for Tennessee Promise students must be completed by December 1, 2015 for all students wanting to enroll for Spring 2016. Please review the community service information page (opens in a new window) for the more information.
Tenessee Promise Overview
The Tennessee Promise provides Tennessee high school graduates the opportunity to attend Southwest free of tuition and fees. Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or TSAA funds.
Community Service Requirement
Tennessee Promise students are required to give back at least 8 hours of community service prior to each term. The deadline to complete and submit your hours for Spring 2016 is December 1, 2015. Community service is time contributed to a non-profit or public service organization. The community should be benefitting from the work you do.
Resources to learn more about community service include..
- Southwest Service Learning
- Southwest Service Learning Calendar
- Tennesse Achieves Community Service Informational Page (opens in a new window)
In order to submit your community service hours please use the link below:
If you live in Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Fayette, Gibson, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, or Tipton Counties, you will need to submit your community service hours at the link below:
- Apply to the Tennessee Promise program at www.tnpromise.gov/ by November 2.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 each year at www.fafsa.gov. If required, student must complete FAFSA verification before August 1.
- Attend all scheduled team meetings and a mandatory college orientation.
- Maintain at least twelve (12) credit hours per semester while enrolled at Southwest.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA).
- Complete at least eight (8) hours of community service each semester. This year's deadline is December 1.
In order to participate in the program, students must meet several requirements and deadlines listed at http://tnpromise.gov/students.shtml.
Fulfill Your Tennessee Promise at Southwest. For more information, contact Recruitment at 901-333-4399.