Approved by Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) on March 25, 2011
Southwest Tennessee Community College will become a national model for technical, career, and transfer education by fostering student success, transforming lives, and increasing the educational level of a diverse community.
The mission of Southwest Tennessee Community College is to provide the citizens of Shelby and Fayette counties and the surrounding Mid-South region with a high quality and affordable post-secondary education that prepares them for associate degrees, future educational opportunities, and successful employment.
As a comprehensive, open-access, culturally diverse, public two-year college, Southwest is committed to meeting the educational needs of individual students, communities, and employers through credit and non-credit instruction using both distance learning technology and traditional campus-based classes. Southwest promotes student success in a supportive teaching and learning environment designed to raise educational levels, promote work readiness skills, enhance career advancement, prepare for university transfer, and enrich personal lives.
To fulfill its mission, the college provides:
- University parallel courses and programs leading to Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees that meet the requirements of the first two years of a baccalaureate degree;
- Career technical curricula leading to employment-related certificates and Associate of Applied Science degrees;
- Continuing education, workforce development, and public service programs for community citizens and businesses;
- Learning support programs for academically disadvantaged students;
- Highly qualified full-time and adjunct faculty in all academic programs and disciplines;
- Student support services that assist both students and alumni with their attainment of educational and career goals;
- Student learning enrichment through honors programs, service-learning activities, tutoring, library services, cultural events, international studies, and extracurricular activities;
- Administrative and financial services that support student enrollment, faculty and staff employment, college management, and organizational development;
- Institutional partnerships and activities that advance community relations, public awareness and support, resource development, and inter-institutional collaboration and articulation;
- Physical facilities and learning environments that are modern, comfortable, secure, and technically advanced for student, employee, and public use;
- Assessments of institutional effectiveness to ensure continuous improvement; and
- Campus culture that promotes diversity, learning, and student success.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is committed to the education of a non-racially identifiable student body and promotes diversity and access without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is a member of the State University and Community College System of Tennessee under the governance of the Tennessee Board of Regents.
Implementation of this mission requires specific activities carefully designed to ensure that the mission is accomplished. These activities are grounded in the College's basic values and are continuously evaluated and improved. As a current implementation strategy, the College:
- Offers Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Arts, and Associate of Science degrees, academic and technical certificate programs, and courses that prepare students for transfer, employment, and career advancement in areas that include allied health sciences, nursing, business, computer technologies, criminal justice, education, and engineering and related technologies, while continually developing new programs in emerging fields
- Offers a general education program to improve student communication and mathematical skills, critical thinking, cultural awareness, and personal and civic responsibility
- Provides customized training, specialized courses, continuing education, and assessment services to meet personal, career, and workforce development needs
- Provides developmental education to strengthen basic academic skills
- Develops articulation agreements and collaborative activities with high schools, technology centers, colleges, and universities to ensure smooth educational transitions for students
- Develops and sustains effective partnerships with business, industry, and community agencies to foster economic development and workforce preparation
- Initiates public service activities and educational collaboratives dedicated to life-long learning and the improvement of the community at large
- Creates opportunities for enrichment and personal growth through social, cultural/artistic, multi-cultural, and athletic activities
- Utilizes technology reflecting current business and industry standards
- Provides student support services to increase opportunities for success
- Promotes academic excellence by supporting effective learning with quality instruction, a free exchange of ideas, and enhanced educational experiences through honors programs
As a college community, the faculty and staff of Southwest Tennessee Community College is committed to the following values as guides for their professional practice:
- Student success
- Academic excellence
- The uniqueness and worth of each individual
- Dedicated faculty and staff
- Responsible learners
- Personalized instruction and hands-on learning
- Open communication, teamwork and participatory management
- Academic freedom
- Ethical and professional behavior
- Community involvement
- Continuous improvement
Southwest Tennessee Community College draws on the legacies of two colleges, Shelby State Community College and State Technical Institute at Memphis, which were consolidated July 1, 2000.