Apply for Federal Financial Aid
FAFSA School Code: 010439
How do I apply for Federal Financial Aid?
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can submit the FAFSA after January 1, sooner is better to qualify for as much financial aid as possible.
- Filling out the FAFSA form online is the fastest way to apply. You'll need a PIN for this process. The PIN number can be applied for within the FAFSA application. Enter Southwest's School Code, 010439, as a school that will receive the results of your FAFSA. The Department of Education will send you an email containing your PIN number. Keep this information in case you need to login to the FAFSA website.
- Make sure your Social Security number and name is correct on all forms.
- We recommend you file the FAFSA no later than February 1 to be considered for State of Tennessee grant and scholarship assistance. The FAFSA must also be submitted for renewal of the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship.
- Allow five (5) business days for your FAFSA to process. Check your financial aid status on the Student Dashboard account, accessible via My.Southwest, regularly to ensure you have no outstanding "To Do" items. Your financial aid award will be displayed online when it is available.
- Respond immediately to any request for verification of the information reported on your FAFSA. If you are selected for Verification, you are required to complete a Verification Worksheet and other financial forms before any financial aid can be processed or disbursed.
- Make sure you turn in all the required forms that are available on the Student Dashboard account. Failure to complete this request will cause processing delays.
- Financial aid awards are only offered to fully admitted, degree-seeking students.
- Complete U.S. taxes early each year so the FAFSA can be renewed early.
All communications regarding your financial aid will be sent to your Southwest email or posted on the Student Dashboard account.